Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rosary # 42 St Patrick

Rosary # 42 - Saint Patrick

Saint Patrick was born around the year 385 in Great Britain. His father was a deacon and his grandfather had been a priest. When he was a teenager, he was captured and brought to Ireland as a slave and was forced to work as a herdsman. While tending sheep for six years, he had much time to think and pray. He escaped to Gaul where he spent four years in a monastery under the direction of Saint Martin of Tours. In a dream he felt summoned to go back to Ireland, but this time as a missionary. He eventually returned to Ireland as a Bishop, many years after his escape from slavery. Known for his holiness, friendliness, intelligence and eloquence, Patrick converted both royalty and ordinary people to the Catholic faith. He worked alongside many people, including Saint Brigid, before his death on March 17, 461.


First Mystery
On coming to Ireland," he says in his Confessions, "I was daily tending sheep, and many times in the day I prayed, and more and more the love of God, and His fear grew in me, and the spirit was strengthened, so that in a single day I have said as many as a hundred prayers, and in the night nearly as many; so that I remained in the woods and on the mountain, and before the dawn I was summoned to prayer by the snow, the ice, and the rain, and I did not suffer from them, nor was there any sloth in me, as I see now, because then the Spirit was burning within me."

Second Mystery
I cannot keep silent, nor would it be proper, so many favours and graces has the Lord deigned to bestow on me in the land of my captivity. For after chastisement from God, and recognizing him, our way to repay him is to exalt him and confess his wonders before every nation under heaven.

Third Mystery
I came to the Irish heathens to preach the Good News and to put up with insults from unbelievers. I heard my mission abused, I endured many persecutions even to the extent of chains; I gave up my free-born status for the good of others. Should I be worthy I am ready to give even my life, promptly and gladly, for his name; and it is there that I wish to spend it until I die, if the Lord should graciously allow me.

Fourth Mystery
I arise today, through the strength of heaven; Light of the sun, splendor of fire, swiftness of wind, depth of the sea, stability of earth, firmness of rock. I arise today through God's strength to pilot me; God's might to uphold me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's hand to guard me. afar and anear, alone or in a multitude.

Fifth Mystery
Christ shield me today against wounding: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in me. I arise today through the mighty strength of the Lord of Creation. Amen.






No comments: